Bad Luggage Treatment

I have already posted this idea in the ‘minor suggestions’ thread but now that I think of it, its not really a detail you dont have to care about. My idea is that ramp workers could throw luggage quite badly when in a bad mood or stressed (if i understand, staff can get stressed and do jobs poorly right?). This could make the passengers displeased because come on who likes it? However I dont really know how this could be prevented other than keeping your staff happy. You won’t be able to call your employees to your office for a ‘small talk’ right?

7 Likes

Good idea! Could be combined with the stress handling level from the ramp workers! :smiley:

4 Likes

Sounds good, maybe to give you an incentive to keep the ramp workers calm and happy there could be a chance with every thrown bag that a day or so later you’ll get hit with a payment to replace any damaged contents of the bag because their rough handling broke something.

2 Likes

Great idea, also maybe lazy or stressed employees could also cause damage to whatever they interact with in addition to normal wear and tear.

2 Likes

Haven’t ever thrown a bag but often want to…lol

But yes I like this idea because stress can definitely effect our job performance.

3 Likes

‘‘Haven’t ever thrown a bag’’ said no ramp agent ever. :joy:

Source: I work at the ramp as well.

4 Likes

I’m a baggage system operator, but we are still considered baggage handlers. lool

2 Likes

What airport do you work at if you don’t mind me asking? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s a great idea.

Of course, it’s pretty much impossible to prevent all damage. Accidents do happen. But I could imagine that stressed, angry, dissatisfied, underpaid workers are much more likely to cause damage to the bags. They could go from being the most proficient and professional staff possible all the way up to United Airlines bag mismanagement.

So the chances of a bag being damaged in your airport have a baseline level (say one in two thousand - plucked that number literally out of nowhere) that will become much more likely with unhappy staff. And this will in turn translate into a negative airport rating, affecting passenger satisfaction, airline satisfaction and ultimately your chances of securing new contracts.

5 Likes

I work at the Ottawa Airport (YOW) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Most ground crew don’t do this because they’re angry, dissatisfied or understaffed but simply because they don’t have the time to handle each single piece of luggage with care! We even had our fair share of luggage falling out of carts here at Brussels since it wasn’t properly secured.

We work with strict deadlines on when the last piece should be on the belt or the handling agency gets a hefty fine. Perhaps the developers could look into adding fines for you as the CEO when the performance of the luggage system is not on par with other airports.

3 Likes

That does sound like you’re overworked or understaffed, to be fair.

2 Likes

Hmm, sorry I didnt’t know that. But still I think it would be a interesting mechanic. With fines as @MannaniWanderer suggested for damage to the bags and also fines for the luggage system being slow.

nice. maybe the odd bag going stolen or missing too?

I don’t think this would be too much value added in the grand scheme of things. I’d rather see some other luggage items ironed out than this implemented.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.