Bus vs Subway

Not a bug but a balancing issue.

I’ve recently added a kind of bus terminal to my airport with 11 stops in addition to the subways that I already had I currently have at about 40 people queuing at each stop but some stops have over 100. In the meantime the number of people using the subway has fallen from about 190-200 per hour to nearer 50 per hour for each entrance even though the subways are closer to the terminals. There are also very few buses coming to the airport relative to the number of people queuing.

As far as I can tell people prefer buses over subways far too much and it needs re-balancing in favour subways more than it currently does.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Beta 4, 5 and 6 will be more focused on balancing the game, these analyses will definitely help the devs to look into balancing.

1 Like

Good to know @Puma. Just hope the Devs read this.

2 Likes

I’ve cranked the numbers a bit for beta 3.3-5.

4 Likes

Which way??? :yum:

4 Likes

More subway weight.

3 Likes

:joy: :joy:
Ok, good answer…

1 Like

So it turns out that after investigating this I’ve discovered that there’s been a slack in the system and that a large chunk of the variables we’re simulating for how passengers should select the most suitable transportation system has not been in correctly put to use. This has now been fixed and transportation selection should in general be a lot better in beta 3.3-6, especially subway utilization… :man_facepalming:

Deploying shortly.

1 Like

I’ve found that the transport selection in Beta 3.3-6 was a massive improvement on what was going on prior to that. The situation in Beta 3.4 is much more like what it had been previously; bus stop queues of over 100, not very many buses coming compared to the number of people queuing, the buses that do show up often don’t go to the most crowded stops (sometimes to stops with less than 10 people queuing when another stop 3 tiles away has over 100 people queuing)

The code simulating traffic in beta 3.3-6 and beta 3.4-0 is identical, sounds like the you’re experiencing something circumstantial as it is impossible for it to be fundamentally different.

In which case there needs to be a bit more balancing regarding bus stops, it doesn’t seem correct to have over 100 people queuing at one bus stop and less than 30 at one one that is 3 tiles away. Also a higher spawn rate for buses would help. As would buses being better at picking the most appropriate stop. I don’t need 3 consecutive buses going to a stop which has less than 30 to start with while other stops with far more passengers don’t get anywhere near enough relative to the size of the queue.

How many subways do you have?

8 subways, 11 bus stops. If I close all the bus stops to get rid of the queues, the subways have no difficulty coping with the number of people. The total number of people queuing for buses can sometimes be more than 600.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.