DevLog 104: Game Developers Conference 2018 & Airport CEO Alpha 26 Deployed

A few days delayed, sorry about that, but we’re currently limited to wifi connections… I really miss EU and roaming laws… :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.airportceo.com/devlog-104-game-developers-conference-2018-airport-ceo-alpha-26-deployed/

9 Likes

Yay for ECS. We talked about it before i believe (a long time ago) It enables easier modding, (both creating and supporting) so do consider taking it further once Unity fully implements it :smiley:

Although it will be a real shift in coding things, it would be worth it.

Phew, stopped myself just in time from writing a loong post about ecs and its advantages and disadvantages :wink:

1 Like

Please do! I want to hear.

I think it’s interesting as to how big of a shift this is from within Unity, both architectually within the game engine but also culturally from an engineering and company perspective. They’ve hired a looot of very senior game engine engineers who I think are the main pilots of this change, we heard multiple funny comments regarding the current system from them in terms of ”that shit has got to go”. I’d say that this is way bigger change than for example their UI change as of post Unity 5.6, it very much as you say rewrites how people work with Unity down to its core. And it’s indeed very neccesary, object oriented programming is great for learning coding and building information systems but it’s awful for performance. What does pose a challenge for us as game devs however is that we’ll have to keep upgrading the game engine version in order to ultimaty benefit from ECS. It won’t of course go to production with ACEO untill it’s been thoroughlt vetted both by Unity and their community aswell as us and the ACEO community, but our ambition was to lock the game to 2017.2… untill we heard of their ECS plans. Now it’s a neccesairy must to work with and hopefully, eventually, put into production for ACEO as well as for the future games we make. Exciting times!

1 Like

You asked for it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll start a new topic when i’m at work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My game has people walking / standing around on stands now too… need more bug reports or is it fixed already? It happens with deboarding passengers that are walking into a “wall” where the door of the boarding desk is. A reload solved it; it seems that is a variant of the “wall in the door” bug.

Could it be that routes for staff from within the secure zoning to a position outside the secure zoning is giving a red notice for path finding issues?

I have a question. I remember from multiple DevLogs ago, there was a slight mention in classes when it comes to airlines i.e First, Business, etc. Is that option not longer applicable to Airport CEO or could it be something that can be implemented in the future IF lots of us request it? Thanks :slight_smile:

Yeah it is planned new feature but the devs have been working on performance and and UI but some new features are all ready coded and will be deployed after the UI is improved

2 Likes

Got it, thanks.

1 Like

Yeah, please do file it, we have a few fixes in place (but not thoroughly tested) but want to check it on as much saves as possible.

We would have like to deployed it to experimental but are currently in the desert and have very limited internet access for a few more days.

I can 1 up that as well. I have people just standing on small stands right before they board.

Lets find you one.

Mmm, the reloaded game does now not show it.

U heeft met succes de kwestie (ACEO-3809) aangemaakt