DevLog 79: Steam Direct Update and A New Flight Planner

You never know. I think you know the games RollerCoaster Tycoon World and Planet Coaster. Planet Coaster has more features, rides and looks better. But it runs much better than RollerCoaster Tycoon World, which has graphics of 2006 and was poorly optimized.

It’s all about how they wrote the code for the game and did the optimalizations (and maybe more).

Nice idea with the flight planner it looks a lot better than the old on

keep it up, it looks fantastic already, cant wait for the release of the game. i want to play it as soon as it comes out!

Will it be possible to automate the flight planner if you’d like? As in, I as CEO block off gates/slots for each airline per their contract or whatever, and then they just have at it, scheduling wise, so I can focus on other airport related tasks. The planner seems really cool, I’m just thinking that if I want a detailed airline management simulation, I’ll use one of the many detailed ones already out there on the interwebs. Just curious! I’ll still grab this either way, I was just thinking that an automated version of this might be nice if someone doesn’t want to get too far into the weeds of flight scheduling once their airport gets fairly large.

Not sure if it’s every been planned by the devs, but a lot of the community have been suggesting having the ability to hire somebody in to take some of the micromanaging bits you don’t want to do away so maybe we could hire somebody in for this kind of thing

1 Like

While I feel that the new flight planner is a step forward and more intuitive, 2 questions.

• With a stand set to receive GA and Commercial flights, is there a chance that a stand assigned to an incoming flight gets occupied by a GA flight that landed before it? If so, what happens next?

• Is it possible to have GA flights also shown on Flight planner? Not exactly sure why I want this, but I think it would be nice to see details of all flights on the ground in one screen.
    Obviously, you cant move them around because they are not scheduled, but they just appear on the planner when they land, may or maynot disappear when they take off. If they dont disappear, they can be on there as a record of past turnarounds.

Edit: I mean GA flights are shown in the Arrivals/Departures screen, but that is just letters and numbers. Would be nice to have a visual representation also. In the planner, you can see landing time, take off time, stand assigned and delay in turnaround with just a rectangle

Issue with showing GA flights on the flight planner is that they’re often only organised hours in advance and even then only just before departure. So you could have them on the flight planner, but you wouldn’t be able to do much with them because they’re always coming in.

The option to “tow away” an offending aircraft could be useful. At airfields I’ve been at in the UK my plane has been towed to a different location to make more efficient use of space.

There was this line in the devlog:
" There are some rules enforced in the flight planner to avoid you planning an impossible flight such as the scheduling of a flight to a stand that does not match the aircrafts weight class, the rescheduling of a flight that is already approaching its assigned stand and so forth. "

So I am assuming that you can there is a certain cut off time before which the flight needs to be scheduled, and then say after landing, upto a certain point, you can probably change the gate, but not timing.
If that is true, then maybe similar for GA. When incoming flight request is accepted, it appears on the planner on a gate chosen by path finder. Upto a certain point, you can change the gate/stand (if you want). Just as a feature, since player is getting more power now

1 Like