Outsourcing Services

Has there been any thought putting into outsourcing certain services. I think it would be interesting to have the ability to outsource certain services such as retail, dining, cleaning, baggage handling, etc…

There could be two type of contracts, I pay them (Cleaning, baggage handling), they pay me (Food & Retail).

I could sign a contract for janitorial services at $5,000 per day for 5 years. They would be responsible for hiring staff and doing the work. I could cheap out and hire a bad company hoping to save money but they may not do a good job affecting passenger satisfaction, and vice versa a higher qualified company would cost more but lets say my airport doesn’t take in as much revenue I was expecting and now this contract is a burden on my bottom line.

For outsourcing the retail I would lease out my space for lets say $25 per square foot per day for 5 years. The outsourced company would run there own stores and decide what they want in them. The gamble would be that maybe retail turns out to generate $40 per square foot. I would be leaving potential revenue on the table, but I have a safety net to ensure that I’m making money. At the end of the contract I could be left holding the bag with having to suddenly find my own retailers if the outsource company does not want to renew or wishes to renew for less.

Cheap-O-Retail tends to run 1 star type places, but maybe my airport is is now skewing towards 5 star establishments. This would cause customer ratings to drop, but since I’m locked in for 5 years I have to suffer.

This gives the ability to move some of the micromanagement items off the CEO plate and adds another aspect of the game, while fitting in with the tycoon and simulation genre.

3 Likes

There has been a discussion last year about this, but it’s nice to see it brought back.

Outsourcing is a good player choice to add to the game. Either spend the money and be done with it or setup your own infrastructure and save money in the long run

The devs talked a lot about this actually and like they have said multiple times the only way to get shops en cafe’s is outsourcing. You build the shop and furnish it and the take an contract with a thirdparty to rent it out and you will get some money up front and a share of their profits

We were also talking about catering and such

I meant one level further. I just rent some other company decides everything that goes in the airport. All the spots designated cafe, I would have zero control over it, I merely collect the rent.

The actual business, the hiring of staff, any goods purchased, etc… are controlled by another company.

I know my homemairport works this way. A food service company runs all the restaurants and merely pays rent to the airport authority. The staff work for them and not the airport.

Isn’t this the purpose of the game? Managing your airport?

1 Like

I mean… As Airport CEO you’d get the architect to actually design the thing so, arguably given the name of the game it’d be form signing simulator :wink:

I like this idea, it allows you to focus on the bits you want to focus on alongside being quite managerial in nature.

Form Signing Simulator. Sign these forms and wait for the repercussions. Make sure you read the fine print.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.