PAX are going too slow / Security check too slow

I don’t know if this is the correct forum area for my remarks.

I wondered why some of my planes depart only with part of the planned PAX. I saw, all are arrived at the terminal, all have passed the check-in. So I stop the times, PAX need for their way to the plane to board.

First thing: the passenger I tested needs 38 minutes from check-in desk to entrance of the security desk.

If I compare to the ~38m of an A-320, the distance is ~315m, this is a speed of ~0,5km/h, an average human walks with ~4km/h.

The next thing: my test-PAX needs nearly 1 hour to pass the security check (52 minutes). And you see, the queue in front of the desk is not very long:

I’ve got 5 medium security-checks (only for passengers) for 6 medium stands and that’s not enough, I need 6 or 7. If the airport grows further, I think, I need 2 security checks per stand.
In my opinion this is too much.

A question to the other players: how many security checks do you have per medium stand (passenger per flight ratio 100%)?

Thanks!

Hey Manni!

I’ve had issues with this as well. At first, my planes left with only 50-60% of the total number. A lot of the time, passengers get delayed due to badly designed passenger flow. And in my experience, it turned out that my airport design was not the most efficient. So, I made a few changes. Please refer the post mentioned below, and if possible, the whole thread. I was able to eliminate 95% of the delays (some delays are inevitable and that’s okay as airports face delays in real life as well) that occurred for me. Alpha 31 - Delays - #25 by ilios21 Also, remember to hire the best security officers as it will improve the efficiency of your security system.
After you’ve implemented these suggestions, do let us know if it works or if you still have problems. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for that!

But I think, the problem is limited to one point: the discrepancy between the PAX who finished check-in and not passed through the security check:

20190731132814_1

The 3 stands with problems are the upper ones in the picture above. Staff is on time at all operational points.

@ilios21: am I right that you have 7 medium security desks for 8 medium stands on your airport of the linked thread?

It’s a real life problem: security checks taking too much time, are expensive, and inefficient.
This is an interesting youtube-video How to Design Impenetrable Airport Security, although I don’t know if all said in it is true.

It WAS. I increased the number of checkpoints to 10 for 8 medium stands. It is always better to maintain more than 1 checkpoint per stand. This helped me a lot when it came to clearing passengers through security.
The best way (IN MY EXPERIENCE) is to place a checkpoint near a group of check-in desks.

Yes, I think, this is the point.
The countdown starts by arriving at the airport. But there’s a break between arriving and opening of the check-in. Also after passing security check is a waiting time before starting with boarding. Alone between check-in and security check is no break. So there you can win or losse time.

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Regardless, I feel like the speed of the security check is far too slow. People are talking about at least 1 checkpoint to 1 stand meaning that in the 4 hour turnaround + 1 hour scheduling distance combined with the lets say 200 passengers, a security checkpoint is able to check 40 PAX per hour. Realistically a checkpoint should take no more than 20 seconds per PAX (which is probably still slow) which means that the speed should be increased from 40 PAX/h to 180 PAX/h

1 Like

I’m fine with like 3 checkpopints for about 10 medium stands. but you do have to work them out well: Best staff ratings, dividing pax and staff, and making sure the que line is longer than the people queing. Especially that last one because with people stacking up in front of a full queline, you can’t assure the one waiting longest gets served first.

@dewitjur: do you have the PAX ratio to 100%?

Yes .

Also, if your pax arrivals at the airport, or checkin gets delayed too much they’ll be going through security later. Those have to be efficient too.

1 Like

Are you playing at maximum speed (>>>)? I just discovered that relative time is wrong when changing speed. On medium speed (>>), I could earn lots of money with my airport and almost every flight departed on time, sometimes even 30 minutes early.
After changing to maximum speed, after a short time I got huge delays. While turnaround services were mostly on time, passengers were late at (or missed) check in, security and boarding. Just arrival at the airport still worked in time. Additionally, also the staff didn’t reach the boarding counters on time, resulting in “go to gate” status for several hours with no boarding starting.
After a while my rating was completely down, I didn’t get many flights anymore and had lost about 750.000$. Changed back to medium speed then and now I’m on my way back with less than 500.000$ debt - without doing anything else besides changing the speed.

Wow. I’ve haven’t heard of this. Is it actually possible? :face_with_monocle:

Yes, I think you’re right. It’s one of the reasons I avoid to play on maximum speed.
It’s another hint that the pathfinding algo needs improvement.

@Gerwanese: that’s very interesting. This means that the game in the background has no common time ticker, but the individual processes have their own. Ouch…:woozy_face:

No, I play only in slow (real) speed, therefore, I haven’t noticed this case.

I think they are just too slow.

It has been mentioned a few times that playing on the faster speed levels for prolonged periods of time can have an impact upon the performance of your airport. Medium speeds I find a lot more stable than fast. If I need to use fast, I tend to limit it to a few seconds at a time.

Also in theory the performance level of the security station should be taken into account as well. I try and get their efficiency above 1.5 with a (I believe) max value of 2.

Yes, there are a few issues with running large airports at higher speeds due to the simple fact that we are (and always will be) dealing with a bottleneck issue. The more stuff that the CPU needs to do in one cycle drastically affects the speed at which it can do those things. For systems living in the main thread that isn’t a problem since slow-downs on the main thread affects everything else running on the main thread. However, systems that run “independently” (more or less, they are dispatched via the main thread) on other threads, such as the path-finding system, are heavily impacted by this. There appears a discrepancy between the two systems in this case, which is something we’ll look into as we’re fully finished with multi-floor, multi-terminal and or anything else that may impact the path-finder in someway. TLDR: More optimization is needed to be done, when all path-related features have been added, on the overall systems to make sure that the gears connecting the various parts of the code don’t spin at different speeds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.