Airport CEO Alpha 35 released (The Terminal Update)

I believe the main issue is since the aircraft is at a remote stand, none of the passengers have boarded because the bus has not left the bus stop. If the aircraft was at the gate, and most of the passengers were on, dismissing the aircraft would not cause as much consternation since you would only leave a few behind instead of whole bus load full.

An option to dismiss the bus from the pickup area and have it deliver the passengers it has on board to the aircraft might alleviate this issue.

4 Likes

What we want is a method of forcing the transit bus to depart from the bus stand to go to the remote stand to complete boarding when not all the PAX have gone through the Gate. At the moment there is no method of doing that, hence the deadlock situation.

3 Likes

Not only with the Pax but also with the planes i’m seeing path-finding issues i’ve not encountered before.

In the attached image you can see how Airplane 1. waits at the end of the runway for Airplane 2. Even though their paths cross twice but do not overlap Airplane 1. will not start taxiing along his red path to one of the two gates before Airplane 2. has taxied all the way to the yellow X, just in front of the departure runway.
I’ve used similar taxiway-structures before but have not seen issues like this in recent versions of the game.

Have there been changes in the airplane path-finding or is this intended behavior in the current alpha 35?

1 Like

You don’t even have a taxiway connecting at the top. Is this intended? :slight_smile:

It is connected, otherwise the plane would not even move. Buying all of the tarmac tiling was just to expensive at this moment in time. :wink:

I’ve edited my arrows on the image a bit so you can see all of the paths.
The red and green routes are the actual routes that planes will take. they just don’t seem to want to be moving at the same time…

1 Like

Oh… Sorry… I didn’t see that. :worried: :sweat_smile: You saw nothing…

1 Like

Sadly, the first moving plane blocks the whole path. This seems to be changed somewhen between A33 and A34.
My airport is a nightmare regarding that. Sometimes I have a pile of 5 aircrafts at the runway exit.

3 Likes

First, good to see you again! Second; the function does not always act out your order.

1 Like

AFAIK it always ends the turnaround process immediately, the aircraft just might be waiting for another aircraft to pass by…

2 Likes

Yeah, this was another change that I absolutely despise. Another casualty of this specific system “upgrade” (joke) was the “Set pushback point” option, which was probably sacrificed for “realistic” pushbacks with the rotating of 90 degrees. Being able to set pushback points, I noticed that nothing would delay the pushback (not even a previously moving aircraft that will pass a node the pushback aircraft is using/will use), and then it would just wait at its pushback point after pushing back. The TWO MASSIVE benefits I got out of this - 1. you open up a gate that is waiting for an inbound aircraft (which prevents a massive cascading effect on delays); 2. you don’t get ground delays for whatever queueing system for ground movements currently exist. I had such a nice flow of ground movements because the older pushback/taxiing seemed to slightly disregard realism (that eventually got implemented, maybe after enough requests) and just let planes move as they will. So sometimes they overlapped and would hit each other (still happens), big deal if this is more about tycoon-ism versus realism.

I have noticed on everyone of my A33 and earlier builds that I had near-impeccable movements (ground and people) and minimal delays. I find it funny that recently I have seen on the form that “realism” clarified on here as “we’re not about being realistic, its a tycoon!” Just slightly confused where we all stand on realism vs tycoon; I see some systems have change from earlier Alphas because others wanted realism. Now I am seeing more often that this game is a tycoon and not about realism, and that is what is used as a reply when the realistic request we want won’t be accommodated.

1 Like

Yes, but regardless if a stand is remote or not, the “Dismiss Aircraft” function dismisses the aircraft immediately, as it is (no matter where it falls within its turnaround processes). So that means when you do this, the remote bus that has been waiting at its stop at the terminal to get ALL the passengers for over an hour (or more) will stop that process when you dismiss the aircraft, but does not go to the aircraft to board, as the aircraft will not wait for the bus to get there and board. So the planes leave empty, and the passengers disappear. I don’t pay attention to what this does to airline ratings (I imagine it may have some repercussion), but my main complaint is this “method” of boarding for remote stands is not conducive to an effective arrival/departure flow in this tycoon game.

1 Like

They do, actually. But if another planes route blocks the push back, it still won´t move, obviously.
I have read a lot of discussion about the taxiing system, so i decided to add a comment, too.

Please note that I play an airport, which a began after the A34 defalut release. (Earlier Airports work with A34 very badly). At my current airport I have very few issues with path finding or delays caused by taxi route problems. During the hours I have played ACEO (and those were many) I figured out, that you have to avoid the main traffic taxiing along the gates. So in in many of my Airport Layouts I decided to ethier: have the traffic flow East to West and all Gate-connected taxiways in a right angle (so North to South); or i have small parts of taxiways (but never connecting the whole line!) parallel to the main taxiway.
And for me, that works out very good, no delays with about 15 minutes seperation between flights.
I believe, that taxi -“success” depends on the airport layout. So I mean of course there are issues with the cuurent system, but there are no real Grond Controllers to manage the traffic flow. So the computer has to figure out what it will do, and the player can observe which Layout works, and which are not ideal, so he can adapt.
I believe there will be improvements during the beta (as there has been always improvements to the game), and probably tipps & tricks within the Tutorial :wink:
Greetings, Leon

1 Like

I don’t think we’ll add a specific feature for dismissing them, however you are correct that they should not stall the way they can in some cases today. There seems to be a bug where they do not correctly time out after some time while waiting for boarding passengers and I’d be happy to take a look at that issue if you can drop me a bug report number where it is frequent.

No, there have been no changes made to any aspect of aircraft pathfinding between the two versions.

The short version is that it isn’t a change, it’s a bug…

… because this is very true. It seems as if the issue with some aircraft blocking entire section of paths are more common with certain types of design. We are of course aware of the issue but its nowhere near the same report volumes as more critical design issue relating to passenger path-finding and such which means that it currently does not warrant an expedited status.

4 Likes

Would you like for us to start sending bug reports with examples of aircraft waiting for another aircraft to taxi from the other side of the airport? I ask in all seriousness. I haven’t bothered in the past as it seemed to be dismissed in previous discussions as something that would be addressed later.

3 Likes

You need a push-back tug - otherwise the plane will sit there forever.

1 Like

I have done the same thing. We have been told that this is not something that will be addressed at this time and so I have stopped reporting it. But It is very frustrating once you get your airport to a certain size. Any main taxiway path that passes behind a line of stands will cause major delays. this is one of the main reason why I stopped building larger airports and just designing for the future. cuz there are very few ways you can design your layout where you don’t get aircraft waiting for a very long time for another aircraft to pass. And with the current small airport boundary and the larger you build your airport, you don’t have the room put put all the extra taxiways to prevent this from happening. So Its either build small airports and don’t fill up the map, or just don’t play at all. Its so frustrating watching an aircraft wait to push back for an aircraft that still had soo far just to pass by the stand.

and you shouldn’t have to completely figure out a different way to design your taxiways just because an aircraft won’t pushback for an aircraft that still has a ways to taxi before it passes that waiting aircraft, sometimes waiting for 1-2 hours of game time. There could have been like 2-3 aircraft that pushed in that that time that It waited…

I run into this issue ecerytime my airport gets to a certain size and then I just give up on that airport because its just NOT worth continuing. I try using all different methods to see if I can solve it with with one way taxies decade for the main traffic etc. but most of the time I have to add taxiways just for the main traffic and finger off the apron taxiways. But I usually don’t have room to add all that and then my airport has to stay small… and I get bored with small airports after a while.

3 Likes

Hey there!
I have noticed another bug referring to the terminal update.
For some reason, the passengers use self boarding desks without checking to which terminal they belong to. The new Terminal 3 is the only one having self boarding desks, but now there are PAX from all three Terminals using them. In the picture you can see a Passenger who checked in for Strada Regional, but I have currently no flights by SR at this terminal. The Problem is, that I get many many PAth finding errors, due to people trying to get to a secure zone within another Terminal :confused:

Bug Report ACEO-2902

If I made something wrong, please tell it! But I can´t see an option to click at the desk. The drop offs are all connectetd to a bay at T3.
Greetings, Leon :smile:

1 Like

bug issues

Update: I called this something about clicking on room will lead to… But its clicking on pax…

multiple times I have gone through to click on some rooms and have renamed some of the restrooms and staff rooms. When I do this occasionally everything then becomes un-clickable. I cannot click on any item that brings up a menu including stands, baggage bays, persons, rooms, parking lots, desks, aircraft, vehicles etc… I then have to save and reload the game. This keeps happening every time I click on rooms. Not sure if its just clicking on the rooms or if its when I rename them.

Update. Correction. I think this happens when you click on a passenger. Then everything becomes un-clickable. Just happened to me but after I clicked on a pax and the menu showed up I couldn’t exit out of the menu by clicking on anything else. I had to push Esc. to get out of the menu but then I couldn’t click on any other item or pax anymore. Had to reload.

This is really frustrating when you accidentally click on a pax when you are trying to click on something else but a pax gets under you much. Then you have to restart/reload the game.

1 Like

Could aircraft taxi speed and pushback speed be increased since we are not getting a quick improvement to aircraft ground movement logic? I imagine it could help lessen the delay times.

1 Like

@MPR

You could redesign the taxiways near the runway to avoid having the two intersections, which should help with the blocking issue. If you can get arriving planes go up the left vertical taxiway and departing planes go down the right vertical taxiway while extending the concrete departing taxiway to line up with the right vertical, the arriving and departing planes won’t have to cross paths and you won’t have this problem.

@parillos

I do use a trick for my aprons that allows pushback to happen immediately, freeing the stand for incoming flights. I put a small T intersection between the stand and the main taxiway and then add a parallel route to the main taxiway.

Basically, instead of waiting for the main taxiway to become available to pushback, the planes can immediately pushback up to the T, rotate 90 degrees, and then wait for the main taxiway to become available. As soon as the plane rotates at the T, the stand is marked available for incoming flights. If you don’t care about planes overlapping each other, you can accomplish this in much less space. I think it might work if you don’t give it a parallel route, and the plane will just rotate 180 degrees.

2 Likes