Dev Blog 144: Soon releasing Alpha 34, beginning work on Alpha 35 and the Airport CEO soundtrack now available!

Yeah sounds good :slight_smile: Just thought is should ask about it. Because i feel like not many flight to date is domestic in the game. How does the data for domestic/international look today? Or is there some other main factor for generating flights?

Sounds like a very sensible compromise between the requirements of the tutorial gameplay and us aviation fanatics! Thank you for your efforts in accommodating everyone!

5 Likes

you peeps, the CE-PROs to enjoy the game a little bit more.

Can I get a “CE-PRO” tag on forum? :rofl:

7 Likes

Previously we had over 50000 airports in the game which we generated flights from, in combination with the community database for more realistic flight route generation we did some cleaning of that data to avoid having a bunch of small airfields and military bases which would just be taking up space. I can’t tell what the ratios are but domestic airports like Bromma or Sturup in Sweden is most likely in, while airfileds like Sövde is most likely out. We’ll have to see how it peforms once you’re able to test it out!

Haha, maybe we can add a medal like that! :wink:

7 Likes

Right after Swexit.

Regarding the topic. Looking forward for the first examples.

Meanwhile is there any news related with modded airlines? Especially about country based airlines.

2 Likes

Is there a way to look at the airport data, is it derived from MM group spreadsheet? How feasible would it be to add modding for small airports you’d like to add that to others would be no point. I can think of a few very small airstrips in NZ I doubt would be in there but I’d like to get flights from.

And fleet building as well, i.e. how many of each plane they have.

Badge should good too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And fleet building as well, i.e. how many of each plane they have.

Yeah! Ohh my, how did I forget to ask such an important content :grin:

About MM spreadsheet, it had 14k airports but Olof says they had more data with 50000 airports. Maybe a cross check can be done and countries with few airports can have additional airports.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be possible to have fake airports emerge in countries with only one airport? I know it isn’t realistic but neither would not scanning passports be.

The actual destination on an airport currently doesn’t affect gameplay anyway yet (hoping it might at some point) so why couldn’t it be fake?

1 Like

I’m happy with the “pro switch” and that we can decide for each stand, that’s great!

And maybe, maybe, maybe in a future version it might even an idea to allow enabling domestic and international flights for one stand, which will then require at least one boarding desk in international area and one in unspecific area (and for boarding just choose the one in the correct area).
But I think this would add too much complexity for the first run. So let’s just be happy about the option we’ll get now! :partying_face:

1 Like

I agree. I find it funny that all runways are oriented strictly N/S and W/E, but the geography of countries and airports needs to be absolute accurate. I would prefer 360° runways and buildings, but could live with a generated map.

I fully agree. It’s not worth it.

All in all it’s a compromise that doesn’t make me very happy, but it’s much better than the originally proposed solution.
I’m glad we found an acceptable way.

2 Likes

Are there any plans for different kind of gamemodes to be released with 1.0? I would massively prefer to have a number of small challenges/goals in addition to the sandbox we have now.

There could be independent scenarios with an overall clear goal that the player can achieve however they like (eg. 5000 PAX transported per day) with a possible twist (No loans, no medium aircraft, no catering). The player could start on a blank map just as in Sandbox mode, but they could also start on a pre-build airport. These scenarios should be pretty straight forwards to implement and especially mass produce.

If you want to go to the next level a Career mode could be an option. Here you could carry over reputation and the associated contracts and possibly some money. Perhaps a hybrid between scenarios and a career is possible though personally I would be content with just scenarios.

In my opinion it would be a big miss if the game launches without something like this, as there currently isn’t any goal in the game. Sandbox mode will probably always be the main way to play the game, but adding ‘win conditions’ or limitations could spice things up. The original Rollercoaster Tycoon series is a good example of well implemented scenarios that creates for a more interesting gameplay without restricting the player.

I can tell that from the Alpha 34 Lublin, Poland as the city completely disappeared from the map. A new airport placed on map around the location of Lublin Airport gets the closest city now as Brest, Belarus, while previously it was Lublin, Poland. The LUZ/EPLB airport has in real life currently from 4 to 9 commercial flights daily (depending on day of week), from which only 1 to 2 are domestic and all the rest are international. Also there is general aviation, too.

TL;DR I need to edit the saves started in Alpha 34 to make my airports which I place near Lublin, Poland to be back in Poland instead of Belarus.

I hope that we will have Business/ First class lounges coming in A35, so we can build buffets coffee machines and other stuff there, once we click on “lounge room” we get list of airlines that use it, that, can also be requirement of some airlines 5 star airlines having a lounge in airport.
Adding to mod.json new line “AirlineClass” = 1 - 5
5 is the best one, so it they ask for high security in airport, lounge, fancy seating and terminal quality etc.
1 is low cost airline requirements (basic ones; security, check in, seating area)

12 Likes

I would like to see a rewarding system where you can accept contracts or jobs (have a GA plane borrow the hangar for 4 years), and earn extra money off of those, or after reaching a milestone. I don’t want random challenges like, “accept 5 flights to get $5000.” I feel like this is very unrealistic, because who is going to pay that to you.

1 Like

The goals don’t need to have a monetary reward connected to it. Like I mentioned, it could function similarly to how goals functioned in Rollercoaster tycoon. The goal is to have 5000 PAX / earn 2,000,000 from shops / service 200 aircraft and completing the goal ‘completes’ the scenario. Just like in Rollercoaster tycoon you can continue with your savegame and do as you please, but it adds a bit of a challenge to the game.

It could also be used for expansion. Have at least X flights per day for 6 consecutive months and you’ll be allowed to buy additional land and make the airport bigger than currently possible.

@Jettuh @Olof I do remember a preview of the large security checkpoint. Will we see the new large security checkpoint in A35?

2 Likes

Sounds like a great compromise and I appreciate that feedback from everyone was considered. Perhaps down the road once this has been implemented, it can be expanded further to make both domestic and international flights from the same gate possible.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of it? I’m curious to see it.