Dev Blog 153: Emergencies!

I doubt it, but let’s start with having these basic animals in… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s difficult to say, we’re currently testing it and have already squashed a lot of bugs. However some features are still being implemented and we’ve winded down a bit for summer holidays. I’ll refrain from giving any exact date but I do really hope as soon as possible.

7 Likes

I would like to object against the use of the term ‘Weight-class’ for the aircraft in the game. The actual split of aircraft (small, medium and large) is fine, but the label of ‘Weight-class’ is something which, even after playing for a long while, still confuses me. As a player playing from a top-down view, I have absolutely no clue about the weight of an aircraft, I can only see it’s physical size.

Weight also seems more like a variable to me, rather than a constant. An aircraft is always X meters long but its weight can be double of its empty weight depending on the load.

2 Likes

Weight classes are defined by the FAA based off the maximum takeoff weight of the aircraft, so it isn’t variable, the aircraft is only ever in one class. This is virtually the same as the ICAO Wake Turbulence Chart (WTC), which is based in metric mass, and has slightly different classes. The FAA uses Super (A380 & An-225), heavy (other large jumbos), large (most other airliners), and small (most GA). ICAO has heavy, medium and light (basically just removed the super category and renamed large medium).

Both are typically used to determine minimum spacing to avoid wake turbulence, with heavy and super aircraft appending their class at the end of their callsign (ex. Delta 2718 Heavy). As this is a real system for classifying aircraft used across the globe, I think it is absolutely appropriate to use it in an aviation themed game.

2 Likes

As it says in the Dev Blog, “pandemics,” would this mean new counter measures such as hand sanitizing stations, people wearing masks, social distancing, and temperature checks in order to comply with the WHO or any other organisation in the game?

EDIT: Not countermeasures.

That sounds too complicated. I think it will just reduce the number of flights or number of passengers. (Or both)

1 Like

Well, it would be nice to see people in the game not walking over each other if you know what I mean. :wink:

2 Likes

The game is more tailored towards a tycoon game, than a 100% accurate simulation of the aviation world. For the same reason, all GA aircraft use AvGas and all commercial aircraft use Jet A1.

From the perspective of the player, weight is a non-observable parameter while size is.

3 Likes

Especially whilst checking in or boarding!!!

1 Like

Aircraft Hangers should also be potentially taken because of contracts for service to major airlines. I love what this game has become. Losing a runway to a fire should have huge consequences for flights currently inbound if there’s no other runway…

Well done!

2 Likes

Wow, so much cool stuff to come!

Really excited to see the MD-80 series, perfect timing with the Emergency update too!

One minor thing I noticed about the MD-80 model, there should not be a rear galley door on the right side of the aircraft, only on the left.

1 Like

nope bad idea with dlc… don’t say anything like this again… thank you #beingfriendlyandhavingmyownopinion

1 Like

@DarkSandy87 on this forum everyone is free to talk about any ideas related with AirportCEO. It might not be a good idea but still it has value on this forum :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I get people don’t like DLC as some companies have used them as an excuse not to release a full game and it’s a way of just gouging.

For a small Indy studio after release if you want to have ongoing support the cash has to come from somewhere.

This game could stay in alpha/beta forever if all ideas were added. Whereas ideas which may be feasible but require a diversion from the main game play could be separated from the core construct of the game. Allow this to be built fully and then introduced as a controlled DLC later on.

This means

1. more support for the game
  2. keeps the game fresh after release give reason for people to come back to the game time and time again
  3. Allows people to pick and choose if and which DLC they want rather than forcing it as a mandatory part of game play.
9 Likes

@Chris88 Couldn’t agree with you more.

2 Likes

Correct. In the case of ACEO, the roadmap is clear. And only one Alpha with new features is coming. Every new feature during beta is already just a goodie.

DLCs are the best option to keep a game alive after full release. While devs spend time for developing their new game and costs for the time spent on the old game must be covered somehow.

But what people brings up claiming about DLCs is the size of the content. If every single function or asset is sold as separate DLC for a quite expensive price, I can understand them.
But If a DLC is a full pack of new stuff which brings new fun to play in a different way than bedore and that for several hours/days/weeks, then It’s worth it. Like in the past when it was officially called AddOn and was a full expansion of a game.

4 Likes

I don’t have a problems with DLC, personally I feel that there are indeed rooms for DLCs, but what I disagree is just packing features and contents and locking it behind a DLC. There needs to be a clear line of what could/should be DLCs, and what shouldn’t, and just because the game has DLCs doesn’t mean no improvements into the game. For example,

• I don’t want to see “Connecting Flights” and “family/group pax” as a DLC, I’d rather see this as a free update since it’s too tied to the gameplay.
  • On the other hand, something like “Cargo DLC” (followed by improvement in baggage system) or “Helicopters DLC” (followed by an improvement in GA handling) is okay since it will be optional.
  • Another much easier source of DLC is just content packs, e.g. Soviet/Russian plane packs, vintage plane packs, more decor/object packs, etc.
6 Likes

Yes, the locking features behind the DLC when it’s plot stuff is annoying. DLC and Addon get annoying to me and often confused. DLC would be something like substantial improvement in a particular geography (Europe, Asia, etc) compared to you must by the GA DLC or your entire airport code is outdated, and other patches will depend on the new code… guess I"m buying a feature I don’t ever care to use so I can keep the core system working when they release something like the airline base structures that have specific airline parking and maintenance, and planes landing for the airline base of operations piece only… If that makes sense.

1 Like

I don’t usually get into the DLC debate, but I particularly like the attitude taken by the creators and publishers of a popular city builder, whereby each DLC package is split between the changes to the base game mechanics being caused by the DLC being issued as a ‘free upgrade’ to the base game, and the DLC content being paid-for and optional.

So, for example, in a cargo DLC, any additional runway/taxiway elements and possibly the basic hangar structures could be part of the ‘free’ content and the additional aircraft, the research tree, and detailed elements (offices, cargo handling equipment and personnel, etc) would be in the paid DLC.

1 Like

Hey again, does anybody know more details about this? Will the difficult level have an impact in A36?

1 Like

Back in the day, the difficulty levels used to mention incidents. So I’m quite sure they will have an impact.

1 Like