Runway design and operation

hi, just to toss it out there in the air to see if people agree…

I love the game, and i know its simulation only of real airports daily routines, but one thing that i really would love is more realistic runways…

small, medium, large, would be first step… let me elaborate on that…
atm, the runway we get to put on is fine for small aircraft, looks ok, and i can go by it… but as soon as those 737s show up you can tell its little bit off by just looking… now imagine having A380 landing on it would look kinda funny, would actually look like its landing on a highway. because of the width and length needed.

So I would propose creating medium and large runways in accordance with length required for those planes to land as well as taking into consideration width of the runway so it is not same width as taxiways required for the large planes.

I think it would make us think more about layout, expense and financial parts of the game when trying to fit new runways.

that being said, few more additions i would recommend… decay for instance is too fast, it should be toned down, and when it goes low we, the Airport CEOs need to think about shutting that runway down for a period of time to have crews go fix it, instead of just pressing button to fix, and its magically fixed…
would be nice to see crews do the work on it while other runways are operational. It would mean SO MUCH for the realism of the game, planning, financial planning as well.

there i wanna hear from others what do they think.

Keep up the good work boys.

2 Likes

Hello Mandari,

Different size runway is a good idea to add some extra realism to the games, especially when the big planes arrive.

There has been a devblog about this a while ago with the implementation of a large runway. https://www.airportceo.com/devlog-42-large-runway-dashboard-panel-construction-serialization/

So it seems to have been disabled so far, because we simply don’t need them yet. But the larger runway will come back, I’m sure of that.

1 Like

and the width part? dont want them to be looking like roads compared to rest of taxiways and roads leading to airport. ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe they are bigger upon both fronts. See this picture.

1 Like

:+1:

excellent…

then this is good news… hope the decay wishes come into play too at some point it would really make a difference.

1 Like

I always extend my runways 6 times at least so the 737s dont look strange landing on the shorter runways. It doesn’t have any effect on the planes landing distances, but it looks better to have a longer runway. I would also like to widen it, but that is not possible (however with the new concrete runway, you can make concrete beside it so it can sort of look ok if you ignore the runway edge lines :smiley:

1 Like

yes i agree but thats not the solution, solution would be to have runway which accepts certain planes and certain dont, like in early gametime when you just starting and have no money for big runways, no money for concrete or asphalt then that runway should not be able to accept larger aircraft due to its restrictions… which we dont have atm…

1 Like

The current solution I use is to extend the runways to 840m (by extending both ends evenly or else the taxi nodes won’t connect up). While it still looks silly for the A380 to land on a very narrow runway, at least the length is OK for them and they don’t overshoot, and they take off before the end of the runway.

Can’t wait for the 1km 9-block wide runway. (I use 9 wide for my commercial taxiways and the A380’s wings fit into it.

1 Like

Actually, I´ve measured the current in-game runways at 50m which is very big.

One of teh largest runways I know of, leabing out NASAs space shuttle runways :joy:, is the center runway in Frankfurt (EDDF/FRA), which is 60m wide.
But all the other runways in EDDF are just 45m wide and are also A380 approved. In the real life, it´s pretty usual to see the wings hamg over taxiway edges.

(For the aviation geeks: that´s the reason why the A380 only has revers thrust on the two inner engines → because the outer engines almost always hang over grass and would thereby suck in dirt when reversers would be enabled on those)

1 Like

How did you end up with 50 meters?
Every square is 1m and there are 4x4 in a big square. As the runway is 5 big squares wide, is 20 meters (5x4)

2 Likes

Can’t wait for the 1km 9-block wide runway. (I use 9 wide for my commercial taxiways and the A380’s wings fit into it.

Based on that I assumed 1 big block to ne 10m, as the A380 is about 80m wide…

1 Like

1 small block is 1 m though, and a big block is 4 wide.

1 Like

I understand how you got there.
If you read the entire topic I send, you can see that the airside is scaled down to make it more playable/fun, to the cost of realism.

So planes are smaller then they are in real life.

1 Like

I would actually like to see the runway converted to a placeable tile like a taxiway, than an object. This way we can make it was wide or long as we want. To upgrade your runway you would simply add tiles as opposed to demolishing or building a new runway. Aircraft would have a minimum width and lenght to be able to land. This could be done by setting a “room” to deterime what the actual dimensions are.

There already is dynamic lines genorated with taxiways so I imagine this could be also done with runways so the ends, middles, etc are displayed properly, or this could be accomplished like how we create taxi nodes.

5 Likes

Runways at Pearson (YYZ) are 61m wide, and one is 91m. Just an FYI.

1 Like

all this being said, i think mabe blocks could increase in meters because if thats right then all the planes and everything else is pretty much out of proportion… but if we want to make it nice an playable some degree of realism has to exist when it comes down to the buildings/aircraft/vehicles/people . dont you think?

all i said was that runway atm is looking nothing more than little wider road, compared to two lane roads…

2 Likes

I tried out the newest release of Simairport yesterday, just to see what’s up.

I was REALLY impressed with one thing. Drawable runway lengths. You click and hold the runway and draw it lengthwise, and it tells you as you draw what aircraft are capable of landing there. As you keep drawing it, it tells you finally that a 747 can land on this length, and so on. Excellent item I want to see in ACEO.

One more thing; cross-linked runways. That really had me impressed.

Still can’t play SA for very long because of the sprite graphics. ugh. Love ACEO and hope we get some more runway functionality soon.

1 Like

Can we determine the runway that will be used for takeoff or landing, and the airplane path on the taxiway?
It will be more realistic if takeoff and landing determined by wind direction.

2 Likes

runway 15L/33R at CYYZ is 61m wide not 91m it’s a mistake on webside
:flight_departure:

1 Like

Not at the moment,I’m also not sure if there are any plans for directing your planes.

Take off direction due to wind is already implemented,but has been disabled due to big pathfinding problems in the past.

2 Likes